Re: gack

In a message dated 95-12-04 14:54:00 EST, farlow@CVAX.IPFW.INDIANA.EDU
writes:

>A question for all you systematics gurus out there.  I'm going through
>Sibley and Monroe's Distribution and Taxonomy of Birds of the World.
>How does a Parvorder compare in rank with a Suborder in the Linnean
>hierarchy?

Gack is right. Megaorder -> Superorder -> Order -> Parvorder -> Nanorder ->
Hyporder -> Minorder -> Suborder -> Infraorder -> Gigafamily -> Megafamily ->
Grandfamily -> Hyperfamily -> Superfamily -> Family. (This is how Sereno used
them, in Sereno 1986; I've seen different arrangements of the same levels in
other papers.) There's also a Capaxorder that fits in there somewhere. After
this, the cladists decided to abandon Linnaean levels entirely.