Re: Re: T-rex arms

>In a message dated 95-12-01 13:39:42 EST, Thomas_R_HOLTZ@umail.umd.edu (th81)
>writes:
>
>>>T-rex arms have the same function that mononykid arms had, grappling mates.
>>
>>The proper name for the family containing Mononykus is Alvarezsauridae
>>Bonaparte 1991 (or was it 1990?).  This family contains Mononykus olecranus,
>>Alvarezsaurus cattoi (or whatever the trivial nomen was), another Argentine
>>form to be named Patagonykus puerti, and (possibly) "Ornithomimus" minutus.
>>

>I like the idea of Ornithomimus minutus as an alvarezsaurid. Has anyone
>gotten seriously on to this yet?

Yeah, ME!!  As an addendum to the Arctometatarsalian pes paper (between the
bibliography and the tables), I address just this.  This refers only to the
type, however: refered material may be from other small theropod groups.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Vertebrate Paleontologist
Dept. of Geology
University of Maryland