Re: Flight SPECULATION

>I had thought there were grounds to suspect two separate evolutions of flight
>in insects, but I am not an insect person and do not quite recall.

Neither am I and you could be right.  There may well have been a few
independent experiments with flight early in insect evolution (eg the
primitive "six-winged" forms); perhaps someone has suggested flight evolved
separately in fixed-wing flyers like dragonflies?  I really don't know.

>By "gasteropelecid hatchetfishes" do you mean what are commonly called "flying
>fish"?  And if so, if you include them, should you not also include a number
>of other evolutions of what I might call jump-and-glide adaptations, such as
>in flying squirrels?

No.  These are the freshwater hatchetfish commonly on sale in aquarium
stores, and have nothing to do with flying fishes which are true gliders.
Hatchetfish fly by flapping their pectoral fins rapidly when they leave the
water, using muscles that give them their distinctive keeled body shape.

>Hmn, come to think of it, don't some of the bat folks think that flight evolved
>separately in microchiropteran and macrochiropteran bats?

I raised this point but I believe that this view is no longer accepted.
Office: 130 Adelaide Street W., Suite 1940
Toronto, Ontario Canada M5H 3P5