Re: Bipedal fighting sauropods

On Sun, 3 Dec 1995 GSP1954@aol.com wrote:

> Regarding comments on arm wrestling dinos.
>
> Actually, a number of sauropods - camarasaurs, the Chinese forms - have hips
> that are rotated somewhat backwards. This means that the hindlegs would still
> work when the body was reared up (unlike diplodocids, which probably stood
> tripodally on their massive tails). These sauropods may have been able to
> walk on two legs, both to feed, and fight.

        You know, I was cautiously in favor of tripodal sauropods, but I
 didn't buy into tripodal stegosaurs- the necks were just so short, it
seemed like that should be the first thing to evolve if they were high
feeders. Then I used Paul's S. stenops diagrams to make a little
eight-inch paper-mache model. The damn thing kept falling over backwards
at the slightest push. I am a convert.

        -nick L.