Re: Fact, opinion or just BUNK?

On Fri, 1 Dec 1995 DSmith0531@aol.com wrote:
> ...  VERY little of what
> gets said here is not, at some point, greeted with "Uhhh...no" (or words to
> that effect).  For every point, there is usually a counterpoint.  Just go
> back and read through the ongoing Olshevsky vs Orenstein debate (which, by
> the way, I find VERY intriguing)!  While what any given person says may be
> accepted BY THAT PERSON, it is obvious, just by reading through the follow-up
> posts that such views are NOT taken as gospel by everyone else.  When we
> agree, we say so.  When we don't, we also say so...
> Derek Smith.

         What really peeves me is the news media: "science now says...",
"researchers tell us...," "scientists believe..." as if science and
scientists spoke with a single, unanimous voice and were free of all
disagreement and argument. The amount of bickering, politics, personal
assaults (and oh, by the way, rational discussion of varying veiwpoints)
that goes on in scientific circles can  sometimes be pretty bad. Not that
anyone WE know could ever be less than completely polite, of course!

        -nick L.