Alvarezsaurids

On Fri, 1 Dec 1995, th81 wrote:

> The proper name for the family containing Mononykus is Alvarezsauridae
> Bonaparte 1991 (or was it 1990?).  This family contains Mononykus olecranus,
> Alvarezsaurus cattoi (or whatever the trivial nomen was), another Argentine
> form to be named Patagonykus puerti, and (possibly) "Ornithomimus" minutus.

So what is the current consensus on the relationships of this family? Are
they closer to modern birds than Archy? Also might their unusually wide
distribution for a derived Late Cretaceous family be indicative of being
secondarily flightless, ie. ancestral alvarezsaurids dispersed by flying.
In this light I think it is possible that the very bird-like Kakuru
kunjani from Australia might be one as well.

Adam Yates