Re: BADD BCF

GO writes:

>Islands often occur _within_ continental land masses as well as offshore. The
>formation of an island could isolate a bird population from the rest of the
>continent, then, after the island rejoins the main land mass, the resulting
>flightless bird population would be released onto the mainland. I'm not
>saying this happened in every instance of evolution of large, flightless
>predatory birds, but it is at least plausible and may have operated in some
>instances.

Maybe - but I do not think they are required for a bird already large and
fast-running.  Without direct evidence I will assume that these birds
evolved in areas with predators, but that their loss of flight aided
predator avoidance by permitting the evolution of larger size.
Office: 130 Adelaide Street W., Suite 1940
Toronto, Ontario Canada M5H 3P5