Re: BADD BCF

>I'll clarify what I'm talking about.  Unlike bats and pterosaurs, the=
> patagium on a bird faces forward.  If you look at a bird's skeleton, the=
> bones of the outstretched wing form a backwards facing V.  Also, there is a=
> set of muscles (then tensor patagii longus et brevis) that connect the=
> shoulder and wrist (forming a triangular shape).  The patagium covers this=
> triangle.  To restate my original question, how does the evolution of this=
> feature figure in with bird evolution?
>
>Rob

A preliminary question - is there any evidence of this structure in any bird
fossil?  If we don't know when it evolved it may be hard to answer the
question - though I suspect it must have been fairly early in the evolution
of flight, not so much for airfoil purposes as to control the position of
the wrist joint.
Office: 130 Adelaide Street W., Suite 1940
Toronto, Ontario Canada M5H 3P5