Re: BADD BCF

>In a message dated 95-12-01 20:25:41 EST, Robert.J.Meyerson@uwrf.edu (Rob
>Meyerson) writes:
>
>>How does the evolution of the patagium (the flap of skin covering the
>>forearm, forming the airfoil shape) fit in with all of this?  Perhaps
>>explaining how that evolved could help us solve this riddle?
>>

>That would be a pterosaur and bat adaptation, not (as far as I know, but
>anything is possible, etc., etc.) an avian adaptation.

I'll clarify what I'm talking about.  Unlike bats and pterosaurs, the=
 patagium on a bird faces forward.  If you look at a bird's skeleton, the=
 bones of the outstretched wing form a backwards facing V.  Also, there is a=
 set of muscles (then tensor patagii longus et brevis) that connect the=
 shoulder and wrist (forming a triangular shape).  The patagium covers this=
 triangle.  To restate my original question, how does the evolution of this=
 feature figure in with bird evolution?

Rob

***
"Don't panic!"