Re: cursorial flapping -Reply

The only part of Greg Paul's (and others) argument that I don't quite
understand is this:  if powered flight developed in a small arboreal
theropod as a means of jumping from lower to higher branches, then the
long limbs, long neck, and wide wingspan seem ill-suited to an
environment of tree branches.  It's crowded up there, and I can't imagine
a full-fledged flyer having enough room to develop the flight apparatus in
such a confining environment with the potential for collisions between a
flyer and the branches.  It seems much more likely to me that the flight
apparatus developed in an environment free of spatial limitations with
room to maneuver, and was an extension of the running, leaping,
pouncing approach to acquiring prey.

James Norton
jnorton@mailbox.une.edu