Re: Is alt.dinosaur extinct?

On Nov 29, 18:12, Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:
} Subject: Re: Is alt.dinosaur extinct?
> In a message dated 95-11-29 16:52:26 EST, paleo@ix.netcom.com (Glen J. Kuban)
> writes:
>
> >Just a quick question.  Several months ago someone told me about a
> >group called alt.dinosaur on the Internet.  I could not find it and
> >recently asked the Rocks-and-Fossils group if anyone knew where it
> >was.  The concensus was that it is apparently extinct but I just want
> >to confirm this here.  Anyone have the scoop?  Thanks.
>
> It still exists, but it contains zero postings right now. Nobody is bothering
> to use it because sci.bio.paleontology fulfills the same needs and is more
> widely available.
>-- End of excerpt from Dinogeorge@aol.com

Indeed, this is precisely *why* sci.bio.paleontology was created.  A
little more than a year ago, someone on this list (I think it was
Betty Cunningham) suggested posting to alt.dinosaur.  Since this is
apparently an alt group with *very* low propagation (it only exists on
AOL to my knowledge - though it's probably around elsewhere too), I
suggested we create a sci.* group for dinosaur discussions.

Further discussion resulted in sci.bio.paleontology.  I posted the RFD
and sponsored the newsgroup, and that's where we are today.  We
discussed a dinosaur-specific newsgroup, and a gateway between such a
group and the mailing list, but decided against them at the time,
since there was no paleontology group yet at all.

I'm inclined to agree that sci.bio.paleontology serves the purpose for
now, and there's still no reason to create a separate dinosaur-
specific newsgroup.  And I think there's less reason than ever for a
mailing list/newsgroup link since newsgroup spamming has become so
common.

--
Bob Myers                              InteleNet Communications, Inc.
Email: bob@InteleNet.net               30 Executive Park, Suite 150