Re: BAAD BCF

In a message dated 95-12-01 14:14:11 EST, Thomas_R_HOLTZ@umail.umd.edu (th81)
writes:

>In known basal birds, the tooth form is conical to subconical with a basal
>constriction.  There is no strong evidence that such teeth are associated
>with insectivory (although they certainly could have been used), but are
>more like the teeth of small nonavian theropods and some crocs.  I think
>that small vertebrates may have been at least as important as insects in the
>diet of the Mesozoic birds.

Also small non-insect invertebrates. By the way, BCF hypothesizes that
primitive avian teeth were unserrated (don't know about the constrictions in
Archy teeth, though), so that each large-theropod lineage developed its own
kind of serrated teeth independently. So now I (at least) understand why
theropod teeth have differently shaped serrations, and why theopod tooth
taxonomy is pretty good to the family level. This makes "serrated teeth" a
lousy synapomorphy.