Re: bcf vs. badd

In a message dated 95-12-01 12:48:07 EST, martz@holly.ColoState.EDU (Jeffrey
Martz) writes:

>George stated that hunting for food could not be a reason to develop
>> flight, because an animal cannot know what food will available in new
>> regimes.

It wouldn't be a reason to _develop_ flight; it would be an excellent use for
each of the various stages in the evolution of flight, and it would thus
confer selective advantages among flying forms. Those that could hunt their
food better because of the improvements to their flying apparatus would leave
more descendants, etc., etc.

What I'm after is something that would _drive_ proto-birds into the trees,
and thence into the air. Locating new food sources is an _a posteriori_
adjunct of any particular flight adaptation.