Re: Re: BAAD BCF

>I include insectivory within carnivory - insects being animals, after all.

The mammalian ecologists have precise meanings for terms like "carnivory"
and so on.

Faunivores are organisms which feed on animals (inverts or verts).

Carnivores, a subset if faunivores, are organisms which get 50% or more of
their nutrients from vertebrate flesh (and, as commonly used, only tetrapod
flesh, piscivory being fish eaters).

Hypercarnivores, a subset of carnivores, are organisms which get 95% or more
of their nutrients from vertebrate flesh.

When we talk of "'carnivorous" dinosaurs, we actually mean
"hypercarnivorous" dinosaurs.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Vertebrate Paleontologist
Dept. of Geology