Re: ARBOREAL FRUGIVORES

>> I do not think that the evolution of gliding or flying fishes (and, by the
>> way, the South American freshwater hatchetfishes (Gasteropelecidae) really
>> do fly by rapidly flapping their pectoral fins, though they aren't very good
>> at it)                                          (Ronald Orenstein)
>
>I thought that, though it has been concluded that 'flight' is possible in these
>fishes, they haven't yet been seen in flight. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
>DARREN 'this deal is getting worse all the time' NAISH

Hatchetfishes have a deep bodily keel that provides attachment for muscles
that operate the pectoral fins.  When the fish leaps the fins apparently
flap at a rapid rate.  Acording to Alwyne Wheeler in "Fishes of the World":

"These fishes can fly.  The heavy pectoral muscles can move the long, rather
broad pectoral fin so fast that the fish can leave the surface of the water
and fly, in a straight line.  In captivity the pectorals can be heard to
make a buzzing sound as the fish leaves the water."

That's why you never keep these fishes in an uncovered aquarium!
Office: 130 Adelaide Street W., Suite 1940
Toronto, Ontario Canada M5H 3P5