Re: BAAD BCF

In a message dated 95-11-30 23:24:51 EST, ornstn@inforamp.net (Ronald
Orenstein) writes:

>>>There is, of course, no evidence that flight evolved to escape predators.
>>
>>Ah, but there is. The evidence is that, where predators are scarce, birds
>>frequently evolve "back" into flightless forms.
>>
>Sorry, this won't do entirely.

I never said the evidence was great, or that there weren't other reasons for
the appearance of flightlessness--only that the evidence _is_ better than "no
evidence." Avian flight may ultimately have evolved for the simple reason
that a controlled fall is always better than an uncontrolled fall, and
powered unstable flight gives the maximum imaginable amount of control to a
"falling" arboreal animal.