Avian scales

   I've heard that birds have scales ... located on their legs and maybe
somewhere else.  I've never questioned it ... until now.

   Do birds have scales?

   Are they similar to reptilian scales?

   If not, what are they?  A modified horn structure of some sort?  Modified
feathers?

   What's the implication of all this for dinosaur skin?

** THE DINOSTORE.  Your one stop shop for Dinosaur collectibles, fossil      **
** replicas, and other Dinosaur products.  View our on-line catalog, Dinosaur**
** essays by enthusiasts and paleontologists, and the Dinosaur Mailing List  **
** Dictionary and Genera List at http://www.infinet.com/~jpoling/  Price     **
** catalog current as of 12/01/95. "Raptors" are the Dinosaur of the Month.  **