Re: Exaptation

>>This does not seem to fit the facts.  Post-KT flightless birds include the
>>various ratites (which may or may not have evolved flightlessness
>>independently), penguins, dromornithids, diatrymids, phorusracids, mancallid
>>auks, plotopterygids (or whatever these things were called, I forget), and,
>>in recent times (though not all at present, alas) flightless cormorants (at
>>least two lines), ibises (at least two or three separate lines), ducks
>>(several lines), megapodes (as I recall), rails (lots of lines), the Great
>>Auk, aptornithids, kagus, parrots (the kakapo), a probably flightless hoopoe
>>from St. Helena, and even passerines (the hapless Stephen Island Rockwren of
>>New Zealand, exterminated by the lighthouse-keeper's cat).  I see no
>>drop-off in the rate of appearance of flightless lineages.
>
>Probably the lousy fossil record fosters the illusion.

I had better add, quickly, that the list also includes two
independently-evolved flightless grebes (one, the Atitlan Grebe,
unfortunately now extinct).  I am highly embarassed to have forgotten
these,as my graduate supervisor was Dr Robert Storer, the world's leading
authority on grebes!  I hang my head in shame...
Office: 130 Adelaide Street W., Suite 1940
Toronto, Ontario Canada M5H 3P5