Re: BADD BCF

>It's tough for me to imagine that the retro-hallux evolved in a biped _for
>the purpose of grasping prey_. (It would make walking difficult, with a piece
>of meat stuck to your foot.) It may, however, have been co-opted for a
>ripping and tearing function--still tricky, since the average large theropod
>with its stiff back and upwardly inclined neck would have a tough time
>reaching between its hind legs for the morsels, but perhaps possible.

Birds are pretty adept at reaching down to clean stuff off their feet if
necessary - surely small dinos were equally flexible.  Hawks regularly hold
prey down with their feet and rend it with their bills.  Larger, less
flexible theropods might well have depended less on the feet and more on the
jaws.

Again - I am not at all averse to the notion that the retroverted hallux
evolved for perching.  I was merely countering your statement that no other
function could possibly have been responsible for its evolution.  Prey
capture may be less likely but it is certainly possible.
Office: 130 Adelaide Street W., Suite 1940
Toronto, Ontario Canada M5H 3P5