Re: birds scales

>>but there is no hair on birds
>
>There are hairs on birds.  My blue and gold macaw has hairs around his
>nostils and my budgies have eye lashes.  So does my cockatiel and
>cockatoo.   Hey if you can't have pet dinosaurs this is the closest
>thing.  Especially my big blue and gold.  My scarlet has hairs on it's
>white cheek patches.  My blue and gold also has eye lashes.
>
>                          Bite Is Might
>
>                            Raptor
These are hairlike feathers, not hairs in the mammalian sense - ie they are
not homologous to mammalian hairs.  Functionally and in appearance they are
hairs but phylogenetically they are not (if by hair we mean, in this
context, mammalian hair).
Office: 130 Adelaide Street W., Suite 1940
Toronto, Ontario Canada M5H 3P5