Re: birds scales

On Sat, 9 Dec 1995, Ronald Orenstein wrote:

> Well, I don't see why not - the earliest fossil feather known, a single
> imprint (from Australia?) appears to be one.  I do not think that the
> asymmetrical nature of the feather came forst, but the general shape and
> structure may well have.

The oldest feathers definately do not come from Australia. We have Early
Cretaceous contour feathers (the organism that bore them remains unknown)
from a site near Koonwarra, Victoria but these are younger than
Archaeopteryx. As
far as I am aware the oldest known feathers are those of Archy itself.

Adam Yates