Re: Dinosaur article

>Alan Brush has been arguing recently on the list that feathers are an avian
>neomorph, like mammalian hair--they did not arise from scales but are a
>genuinely new structure. He has analyzed feather proteins and found them to
>be different from the proteins of scales; they are, however, more or less the
>same proteins as in bird beaks, claws sheaths, and leg scutes.
>
>I wish we had some protein samples from the keratinous covering of ankylosaur
>and stegosaur scutes, sauropod dorsal ornaments, and hadrosaur beaks. I would
>bet money that it's the same stuff as that which makes up feathers.

   So ... how do the proteins of crocodilian scales and scutes compare with
those of bird feathers?

** THE DINOSTORE.  Your one stop shop for Dinosaur collectibles, fossil      **
** replicas, and other Dinosaur products.  View our on-line catalog, Dinosaur**
** essays by enthusiasts and paleontologists, and the Dinosaur Mailing List  **
** Dictionary and Genera List at http://www.infinet.com/~jpoling/  Price     **
** catalog current as of 12/01/95. "Raptors" are the Dinosaur of the Month.  **