ichnogenera and ichnospecies

To: nking @ ucs
From: Dinogeorge
Subject: Re: Footprints -Reply
Date: 12/12/95    Time: 11:25a

In a message dated 95-12-12 09:50:28 EST,
WHITMOREJ@cedarnet.cedarville.edu
(John H. Whitmore) writes:

>It is true.  Trace fossils, tracks, burrows, etc.,  all are given
scientific
>names different from their maker.  Often the maker is not known with
>certain identity.

And Dinogeorge (12/1295 11:25a) says:

And I'm pretty sure that, if the maker is known, its body-fossil name
gets
priority over its trace-fossil name even if coined later.

In fact, nomenclature for trace fossils ("ichnofossils") is different
from that of body fossils, whether or not you THINK YOU KNOW what the
trace-maker was.  ICZN recognizes the categories ichnogenus and
ichnospecies having etymological rules that are parallel to genera and
species of body fossils.  However, there are no higher taxonomic
categories.

Trace fossils are regarded as a kind of sedimentary structure rather than
a biological entity, hence naming them using rules of biological
nomenclature really isn't logical.  Nevertheless, since the practice
became ingrained (in the late 1800's) before we understood the origin of
a number of strange markings (they weren't as obvious as dino
footprints), the ICZN has grudgingly accepted the practice.

But no, you cannot use the body fossil name for a trace fossil, no matter
how certain you are of its maker.  To paraphrase a recently controversial
question:  Were you there to actually see what the trace-maker was?  Then
how can you be so certain?  Another advantage to sticking with the
ichnological name is that it tells people what you have, in fact,
found--whether it is a set of foot bones or just the marking left by that
foot as it walked along.  So, if you abandon the ichnofossil name you
have lost a bit of information in your attempt at communication.

University of Southern Indiana
8600 University Blvd.