Re: Bat origins

>synapsids, which I gather aren't even called reptiles any more though they
>are still referred to as reptiles in many books.

Actually, synapsid is still a valid taxon within reptilia.  The two=
 important ones, the pelecosaurs and therapsids, are considered true=
 reptiles (warm-bloodedness appearing in the advanced therapsids).

Things start getting dicey when we try to draw the line between therapsids=
 and mammals.  We have so many good transitional forms, that the line has to=
 be placed in an arbitrary way.  For now, it has been placed somewhere=
 between the two (I'm not sure where).

Rob

***
"Don't panic!"