Re: Internet Man Track claims

Shaun,

    The recent Paluxy "man track" promotions you cited come from Carl
Baugh and Don Patton, who are among the few remaining human track
advocates.  Both are famous for promoting dubious man track claims,
advertise advanced degrees that they do not possess, and are considered
distreputable even by many creationists.  The so-called 14 human tracks
in sequence at Paluxy refer to the Taylor Trail on the Taylor Site,
which they once claimed was human.  Later (after publication of
contrary evidence by me and others) Baugh admitted the tracks were
dinosaurian.  Then Baugh and Patton decided that the tracks were
dinosaur tracks with human tracks _within_ them.  Even more recently
they have suggested they are pterosaur tracks with humnan tracks within
them.  Actually, the elongate tracks on the Taylor Site are largely
infilled metatarsal dinosaur tracks, as is supported by several lines
of evidence.  As I noted in previous messages, other Paluxy "man
tracks" were erosinoal features, carvings, and ambiguous marks of
uncertain origin.
    I have publsihed more detailed replies to these new twists on the
old "man track" claims, and can send you more information if you like.
I too am disappointed that they are pushiong this stuff on the Internet
now, but I would encourage you not to get too worked up about it.
There are charletans all over the place, and it's just a sad fact of
life.  Even many creationist would rather Baugh and Patton cease their
activities, but so far they have largely ignored reproofs from both
mainstream and creationist critics.  By the way, I will soon be placing
a historical summary of the Paluxy controversy in the talk.origins
archives, to supplement the topical summary already there.  I'll let
you all know when it is installed.
    Thanks for the message.

Glen J. Kuban
paleo@ix.netcom.com