Re: Herrerasaurus

>     First of all, thanks to eveybody who sent me references.  I've got
>enough Herrasaurus references at least to get started.  The most useful
>references are Sereno & Nova's papers in Science (1992, 258: 1137-1140)
>and JVP (1993, 13(4): 400-476) dealing largely with the most recently
>discovered and spectacular H.ischigualastensis (PVSJ 407).  Some interesting
>points:
>      Sereno and Novas consider Herrerasaurus not only to be a true
>saurischian ("subnarial foramen between the premaxilla and maxilla,
>hyposphene-hypantrum articulations in the dorsal vertebrae, epipophyses
>on mid- and posterior cervical vertebrae, and an elongate manus that
>approaches or exceeds half the length of the proximal part of the
>forelimb" Science article, p 1139) but imply that it is a true (basal)
>theropod as well ("pubic foot, elongate prezygapophyses in the distal
>caudal vertebrae" Science, p 1139) rather than a basal dinosaur
>independant of either Saurischia and Ornithischia.

Note that Holtz & Padian (abstract in 1995 SVP volume) question some of the
conclusions of Sereno et al. (although they may, in fact, be correct).

Also, a new herrerasaurid (Chindesaurus) was named in the big green Murry &
Long volume on Triassic tetrapods of the southwestern U.S. (of which I
MUST get a copy)

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Vertebrate Paleontologist
Dept. of Geology