Re: Linnean Classification and Creationism

        I suppose most of you have heard of chain species. One example is
a kind of gull which has a range extending across most of the arctic
circle. Gulls at point A can breed with gulls at B, B with C, C with D,
but when you get all the way back around, it's impossible for A to breed
with D. There's another example with four (sub?) species of mice to the
north, south, east, and west of the rockies. Each population interbreeds
with the neighboring populations, but if, say, the mice from East and
West meet, they can't interbreed.
        Species is a nebulous concept, a useful concept, but a nebulous
one which is largely a human construction. One thing to think about
is that EVERYTHING may be a chain species- not across geography, but
across time. Animal A in the modern period can breed with B a million
years ago, B with C two million years ago, C with D 3 million, et cetera-
chain species that extend across time, not distance.
        Chains specie just emphasize that these are continuums, not
necessarily completely separated from one another. Granted, the tips of a
trees branches are distinct from one another, but if you trace them back
to the source, you'll find they all come together, and you're still left
with a problem of where to draw lines.
        I say yes, you need to draw lines. Otherwise, how are you
supposed to talk about or think about anything? But we should also make
sure to remember that WE are drawing the lines,not nature,  and that they
are arbitrary and subjective, not objective.

        -nick L.