Re: Archaeopteryx teeth, claws and their TV viewing habits

>>   I don't think we need to rehash all of this, but I would like to know
>>what "ungual phalanx" means, and whether other dinosaurs had them.
>
>The ungual phalanx is the first phalanx of any digit, manual or pedal. Some
>workers don't consider it an ungual unless it is claw-shaped (e.g, not a
>hoof), but I'm not sure whether this usage is universal.

   So ... is the ungual phalanx the claw/claw-core or the bone it's attached to?

   BTW, do you have a good dictionary definition of "ungual phalanx" and
"exapted" lying around?  I think they're good candidates for the DML
Dictionary I maintain.

** THE DINOSTORE.  Your one stop shop for Dinosaur collectibles, fossil      **
** replicas, and other Dinosaur products.  View our on-line catalog, Dinosaur**
** essays by enthusiasts and paleontologists, and the Dinosaur Mailing List  **
** Dictionary and Genera List at http://www.infinet.com/~jpoling/  Price     **
** catalog current as of 12/01/95. "Raptors" are the Dinosaur of the Month.  **