Re: Archaeopteryx teeth, claws and their TV viewing habits

In a message dated 95-12-17 11:53:50 EST, jpoling@infinet.com (Jeff Poling)
writes:

> So ... is the ungual phalanx the claw/claw-core or the bone it's attached
>to?

The bone itself. What we call the "claw" is the sharp-tipped horny sheath
that covers (and considerably extends the length of) the ungual phalanx.

>   BTW, do you have a good dictionary definition of "ungual phalanx" and
>"exapted" lying around?  I think they're good candidates for the DML
>Dictionary I maintain.

One of these days, Alice, one of these days...