cladistics

Another place to start is the paperback that (I believe) came out the
the University of Kansas. It is called "The Compleat Cladistic". It
was used as the handbook for a course, but is available to the general
public. The attractive thing about it is a set of exercises. Unfortunately
I do not have the complete citation at hand. If this information is inadequate,
I will be glad to get my copy, but not in the next couple of days (we
are ecpecting 10+ in of snow tonight!)
                   Alan