Re: Re: Linnean Classification and Creationism

> It is very unlikely to happen by mere chance (though not impossible).  In
>all honesty, I haven't really seen much talk about the evolutionary
>significance of these rearrangements in the popular literature about
>evolution (eg. Steven Jay Gould, Niles Eldredge, or DinoGeorge).  Someone
>should talk about it though since it is an event which must be happening all
>the time.

Given that the the first two mentioned above are professional
invertebrate paletontologists, and the third is certainly
vertebrate paleontologically-oriented, their emphasis is on skeletal hard
parts. Check out works by "soft tissue evolutionary biologists" such as
Jared Diamond, whatever the "selfish gene" guy is named (Dawkins?), etc.

There is much more to evolutionary biology than bones and shells.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Vertebrate Paleontologist
Dept. of Geology
University of Maryland