Species (NOT specie) definintions

>I specifically avoided the word "species" in that sentence and used "taxa"
>(oops! should have been taxon) to avoid this problem.  A specie is a
>collection of organisms which shares a common gene pool.

Under certain definitions, true.  There are many different "species
concepts" out there, none of which is particularly dominant over the others
in the technical literature (although the "biological species concept"
certainly holds sway in popular lit & textbooks).  Whole books are devoted
to this debate.

Also, in taxonomy, the singular of "species" is "species".

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Vertebrate Paleontologist
Dept. of Geology
University of Maryland