Re: Genetic Reversals

>   There is a term for the belief that genetic reversals cannot happen; or,
>more accurately, that once a character is lost so is the necessary codes in
>the DNA.  I've been pulling hair trying to remember it.  Anybody know what
>it is?

I think you are talking about Dollo's Law, but that is pregenetic (i.e., was
developed long before genetics was understood).

However, genetics has shown that Dollo was incorrect.  The genome retains
for a very, very, very long period of time the sequence (or at least parts
of the sequence) for features long since vanished in the phenotype.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Vertebrate Paleontologist
Dept. of Geology
University of Maryland