Re: Oviraptora

GO writes:

>>Surely this is also the best direct evidence that at least this dinosaur
>>could control its body temperature?  If you can't do that there's not much
>>point in brooding - even if the idea is to provide shade, as otherwise the
>>brooder would overheat.  This doesn't need to mean out and out homeothermy -
>>even pythons can raise their temperature while brooding by muscular
>>contractions - but it is surely highly suggestive.
>
>This find isn't even evidence against an egg-stealing lifestyle for
>_Oviraptor_. It could certainly have still been an egg-stealer--just,
>perhaps, not the particular kinds of eggs it was found in proximity with.

This is a bit of a non sequitur; lots of birds steal other birds' eggs, too.
I never suggested Oviraptor didn't.  But a colour photo of this fossil was
published in the Toronto Star today (that doesn't happen too often) and all
I can say is, if this animal wasn't in a brooding posture I would love to
know what the blazes it was doing.  It is a truly amazing specimen.
Office: 130 Adelaide Street W., Suite 1940
Toronto, Ontario Canada M5H 3P5