Re: Ishtar Gate (was: More than we wanted to hear on Dragons)

>Some cryptozoologists have seriously suggested that the "dragons" (or
>sirrush) on the Ishtar Gate really do represent living dinosaurs
>(identifying them with such creatures as the African chipekwe or
>mkole-mbembe).  Please note that I do NOT subscribe to this view (except,
>perhaps, late at night sometimes...) but anyone curious to read about it can
>check out Willy Ley's chapter on the subject in "The Lungfish and the
>Unicorn", or pp. 479 et. seq. in Bernard Heuvelmans' "On the Track of
>Unknown Animals".  I believe L. Sprague de Camp once wrote a sci-fi novel on
>the subject, called "The Dragon of the Ishtar Gate".

Ron and others,

    L.S. de Camp did indeed write "The Dragon of the Ishtar Gate", but there
wasn't really any sci-fi aspect to it - more of a historical novel. Good
book, though. It recreates the politics (and executions) of the era quite well.

Eric, Diane, Alex and Caroline Winter
The Paleo Four
Alex is the youngest known fossil collector in the world. First specimen
discovered at age 10 months.