Re: New ozone layer data article

>From: larrys@zk3.dec.com
 >
 > >An exploding star about 185 trillion miles away would create enough gamma
 > >radiation to thin the ozone for many years, he said.
 >
 > As I recall, this is less than 35 light-years.  A nova within that
 > range would have left us at the middle of a huge and clearly visible
 > shell of gas that has never, to my knowledge, been reported by any
 > astronomers,

In fact rather the oppostie - we are in a rather 'clear' region.

 > nor have they identified any black holes or pulsars in
 > that range.  I don't have a star atlas here at work, but I can't even
 > recall a white dwarf star at that range, either.

I can think of two white dwarfs in that range, however - Procyon B
and Sirius B.  However, these were probably formed largely by
mass transfer, perhaps with some planetary nebula emissions thrown
many long ages ago.

The peace of God be with you.