Re: Charles Knight dinosaur calendar

> Have you seen a picture or diagram of the Chinese Stegosaurid
>"Huayangosaurus". Which still has the spines,and also have plate
>characteristics.This could be a relative of Stegosaurus?
>  I'm also curious to what other people think.

Huayangosaurus taibaii, from the Middle Jurassic of China, is the most
primitive stegosaur described.  The most recent descriptions of it are a
Sereno & Dong paper in JVP in 1992, and George Olshevsky's article (in
Japanese) with Tracy Ford illustrations in the popular magazine Kyoryugaky
Saizensen.

Huayangosaurus does already show the beginnings of plates in the
forward-most spines.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
tholtz@geochange.er.usgs.gov
Branch of Paleontology & Stratigraphy