Re: large Argentine specimens

>On the other hand, there is a bit of discussion about a sauropod,
>_Argentinosaurus_ which I don't recall Tom telling us much about
>before.  Gregory Paul estimates the mass of _A._ (a titanosaurid) at
>80-100 tons.

Actually, Coria and Salgado regard Argentinosaurus as an andesaurid.
However, the Andesauridae may just be the primitive members of the
Titanosauria.

>The article mentions that such large sizes have large implications for
>theories about dinosaurian metabolism.  Peter Dodson has calculated
>that just about any animal larger than an elephant could not shed heat
>fast enough to prevent cooking itself if it had a typical avian or
>mammalian metabolic rate (African elephants would probably have
>difficulty if they couldn't radiate heat through their ears).
>
>If you happen to be in a library which carries _Science_, I recommend
>you pull up the article.

I have to bring my copy of the Argentinosaurus paper in to work tomorrow,
anyway, so I'll post the full citation on the net.  It was published last,
er, two years ago (1993) in the Argentine journal Ameghiniana.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
tholtz@geochange.er.usgs.gov
Branch of Paleontology & Stratigraphy
MS 970 National Center