Re: K-T Theories

> >This whole thing is a fairly classic story of ecological imbalance.
> >The rabbits were accidentally introduced into Australia (as pets?)
>
> Introduced as food.

Correct.

> I gather this was a fairly common occurance
> with European settlers to toss out a few rabbits on new islands
> so they will make a ready source of meat.

It should be noted that Rabbits were introduced into Britain and
Northern Europe by the Romans - also as a food item.  The Polynesian
rat was introduced to New Zealand by the Polynesians - also as a
food item.

> I recall
> reading that the thylacine was able to make a living off them, but,
> of course, they were exterminated separately, partly, I suppose,
> because they ate rabbits.

I think that the major concern was over sheep rather than rabbits.

> I don't think Australia had any other large predators at that time.

Apart from Salt Water Crocodiles ... :-)

Derek Tearne.   --   derek@fujitsu.co.nz   --    Fujitsu New Zealand   --
Some of the more environmentally aware dinosaurs were worried about the
consequences of an accident with the new Iridium enriched fusion reactor.
"If it goes off only the cockroaches and mammals will survive..." they said.