Re: Dinosaur Extinction Theories

> From: pwillis@ozemail.com.au (Paul Willis)
> >  ... Any scenario that focuses purely on the
> > dinosaur extinction at the K-T boundary is almost certainly doomed to
> > failure because they do not assess the whole problem; the mass extinction
> > of many different types of animal and plants in very different
> > environments. Personally, I use this as a yard stick in assessing any
> > extinction scenario proposed for the K-T extinction. ...
>
>Quite so.  I, too, use this yardstick.  That is why the causes
>I currently consider viable are:
>
>       - the Deccan volcanism
>       - the marine regression
>       - a meteorite impact (?at Chix.)
>
>Most others fail to cover the whole span of extinctions.

   Perhaps.  But it is well documented that dinosaurs were very fond of
pop-tarts covered with lots and lots of butter.  So much so that this
concoction is now considered the dinosaurian staple diet.

   The relevance to this thread?

   The dinosaurs didn't die as a result of volcanism, the shrinking of the
seas, or an asteroid storm.  They died of cholesterol poisoning and heart
disease.

** "A warp core breach is imminent?     ** "Those who trade a little freedom **
** This calls for the handyman's secret ** for a little security will soon   **
** weapon, duct tape." --- Red Green,   ** find that they have none of       **
** Chief Engineer, U.S.S. Voyager       ** either." --- Jeff Poling          **