Re: Sordes, Brachiosaurs, Mamenchisa

>ornst@hookup.net
><<Paleontologists no longer believe that Sordes pilosus had hair,>>
>
>Since when?

Once again: this was not my wording; I quoted it merely to show that not
everyone accepts pterosaur hair.

><<and thin, curly fibers closer to the animal's body, where more
>flexibility would have been needed.>>
>
>Why would it need stiffiners on its body (not the wings)?

I think the reference was to fibers ON the wings but closer to the base of
the wing (ie the body) than the longer fibers.

  it
>shows the fibers on the wing extending past the wing's trailing edge.
>That is absolutely not what would be expected for a structure that
>was supposedly inside of the skin.

I have heard this explained as an artifact of post-mortem conditions, with
the stiffened fibers emerging from a partially decayed or damaged wing
membrane as the wing dried or shrunk.  Again, please note that these are NOT
my opinions; not having examined the specimens personally I don't really
feel comfortable having any on this point.

 I would think that hair would be more
>delicate like the contour feathers, not like the gigantic flight feathers
>that were splayed out, asking to leave an impression.

This may well be true.

In case I haven't said so I will be off the list after Sunday for two weeks,
then back on under my new email address, ornstn@inforamp.net.
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada L5L 3W2          Internet: ornstn@hookup.net
Office: 130 Adelaide Street W., Suite 1940
Toronto, Ontario Canada M5H 3P5