Lots of things

ornstn@hookup.net
<<First of all, my understanding is that the presence of hair (or
something like hair) in Pterosaurs is not a "fact" but an interpretation
of the specimen(s) of Sordes that is not universally shared. It may be
likely but not proven.>>

You've got an alternate theory, I'm listening.  There is VERY good
evidence that _Sordes_ had hair.  There is the possibility that what
that is isn't hair, but if that is true, it is not analogous to Anything
ever encountered in all of zoology.  What the inpressions show is
hair, not postmortem contraction of skin, not artifacts in the
sediment, but hair.  Look on page 104 of _The Illustrated
Encyclopaedia of Pterosaurs_ and there is a close-up picture of
_Sores_' hair.  On pages 163-4, Wellnhofer talks more in detail about
the subject, and also brings into play, some Solnhofen specimens
that show folicles.  The evidence is pretty much 99% sure that
Pterosaurs were hairy.

<<be convergent if the two groups developed heterothermy
separately,>>

Don't you mean homeothermy?

groo@netcom.com
<<Can anyone recommend or un-recommend _Dinosaurs Past and
Present_?  which has turned up in the local used bookshop for $20 (2
volumes).>>

$20.00!!!  Get it now.  This is a super book set, if for the illustrations
alone.  I should have got mine at a used bookstore; but then again,
you never know when someone is going to unload a colection.

tlcomp@iu.net
<<I think they would have ran. Even modern birds will run rather than
fly. If you watch them they only fly as a last resort. Why? Because
running takes less energy than flying. So I think the "ancient" birds
and pterasaurs (especially small ones) would have run.>>

I guess your right.  I'm thinking of all the crows and robins that fly
away from oncoming cars without a second thought.  If you chase
ducks and sparrows on the ground, they'll normally run away.  I
guess it would depend on how much they wanted to get out of the
situation.

Peter Buchholz
Stang1996@aol.com