DPterosaur's thoughts on the....

    DPterosaur's thought's on the evolution and inheritence of
thermoregulatory insulative intiguement in the as-of-yet unnamed
outgroup of Ornithodires (=ornithodires + pterosaurs).

    In short.  DPterosaur, do you think that the hair in Pterosaurs is
from a common ancestor as feathers?  If not, when do you think that
hair evolved in pterosaurs and feathers evolved in dinosaurs?  Also,
everyone else on the list; what are your thoughts on this issue?

    In my opinion, whether or not pterosaurs are dinosaurs or even
ornithodires, the fact that they had hair leads me to suspect it had a
common ancestor as feathers in dinosaurs.  I would think it strange
that two different types of thermoregulatory devices be evolved in two
*fairly* close groups entirely seperate of eachother.  That is, in other
words, I believe that the small primative ornithodires + pterosaurs
were hairy, that lagosuchids and such were hairy, and that small
dinosaurs were hairy.  I think that theropods (and maybe all
saurischians, and maybe all dinosaurs) had some feathers in some
form or another; though maybe feathers evolved when dinosaurs were
experimenting with flight.  I think it would be a little bit silly to imagine

large dinosaurs with feathers/hair because a) skin impressions show
that most big dinosaurs didn't have them, and b) they wouldn't need
them anyway.  I do however think that the young of all dinosaurs
were hairy or feathered.

    That's just my opinion.  I am awaiting DPterosaur's and everyone
else's

Peter Buchholz
Stang1996@aol.com

P.S. DPterosaur:  Good Job.  I think by claiming that Pterosaurs
belong outside of the Ornithodira, you got Kevin Padian riled up
enough to leave lurker-hood : ).