Re: Does the earth wobble?

> My original idea was that when the Earth first formed, 4.5 Ga, it would
> probably have been "on the level", and that since then it has tilted by
> about 24 degrees. Now, it seems that at some point the moon came along
> (probably at least 4 Ga, so this isn't going to be a factor in dinosaurs),
> and it has kept the Earth spinning on a stable axis. Does the moon orbit on
> an axis tilted at the same angle? Is it possible that the angle of the
> moon's orbit changes? Similarly, if the angle of our solar system was
> changing within the Milkey Way, it would be almost impossible given the HUGE
> periods involved.
I don't remember the stats on the moon, but I think it's pretty much in
the same plane as the rest of the solar system. Again, I don't know if
the orbit changes, but I am definitely sure that it "wobbles".

> >If the Eart wobbles, it is most likely
> >that it's the result of a huge meteor impact.
> Now this I really doubt. If I remember my physics, you would need a huge
> meteor travelling incredibly fast to have even a slight effect on the
> trajectory of the Earth. On the other hand, it mightn't take so much to add
> a little to the spin, like putting spin on a cue-ball. Anyone like to try
> out some figures to see if its plausible?
That's exactly what I meant. We didn't go flying into higher or lower
orbit, we would just start tilting on the north-to-south axis.

> I certainly don't think tilt or wobble or spin has anything to do with the
> extinction of the dinosaurs. I raised the subject entirely in relation to
> dinosaurs living near the poles.
Sorry. My mind must have wandered.

Alex