Re: DNA

Yes!  An example of how modern contaminants can influence dating:  In
1954, the University of California Anthropology Department under the
direction of Dr. Robert Heizer was excavating a 2000+ year old shell
mound on the San Francisco Bay.  A sample was sent to the University of
Chicago to be carbon dated.  The report came back with a carbon date of
1990, I forget what the year range on both sides of that date was.
Anyway, the anthro team finally figured out that the sent specimen had been
contaminated with cigarette ash.

Wild Bill Owens        \_/
Geography             /. .\   There is no friend like a canis!
University of Idaho   \ - /