Re: Dinosaur Eggs

Although not positive, I believe that there have been more egg finds
attributed to herbivore than those of carnivores.
Dino eggs, unlike those of many turtles, appear to have been hard-shelled.
They were generally oval shaped and elongated.

It IS hard to imagine a T-Rex sitting on a nest of eggs, but I've often
wondered about the quantity of body heat given off by a dino (or more)
while resting in "just" close proximity to a nest of eggs. (Just a thought...)

Some Dinos appear to have laid their eggs in a shallow hole in the ground
and covered the eggs with sand. Others created large bowl-shaped nests
of mud which were covered with vegetation that probably kept the eggs warm
by means of decomposition.

It seems that a lot of nest evidence tends to indicate that some dinos
laid many eggs at one time, like a turtle  (most probably increasing
survival chances, and possibly providing nest warmth due
to clustering & decomposition of "failed eggs").

The whole Dino-egg debate is fascinating!

-= Ken =-
      .         Ken Ferrante          .
      . Technology Coordinator - WTSD .
      .    kferrant@llnj.pppl.gov     .