info wanted

Hi everybody!

   I've just finished reading a most interesting article by Mary Leakey
(1982),and in it she describes the use of the Potassium/Argon technique
to date her fossil finds.My understanding was that this is a fairly
"new" method.
   When was the Potassium/Argon technique developed,by whom and how does
it compare in terms of approximate accuracy to those more "traditional"
techniques,i.e. Uranium and/or Carbon? I realize no one dating method is
100% accurate,but which is now considered best?
    Further,if a specimen contains little,or no,Uranium Potassium or
Carbon,(unlikely,I know),is the only remaining dating method comparative
stratigraphy,or are there other comparative dating methods?
    A curious mind would be most grateful for info.
                       Regards and thanks,
                                               Stu