Skin hadrosaur-Discover Mag.

Hi folks,

On page 23, top right, of the August issue of Discover, there is an article
about Brigham Young paleontologist Ken Stadtman's work. He has 40 square feet
of hadrosaur skin impression with remarkable detail,(not shown).

Copyright infringement or no, the article says, "The skin was dotted with
evenly spaced bumps, called tubercles, each a tenth of an inch high. Some of
the tubercles had mysterious striations starting at the base and converging
at the top."

Does that soud like a primative feather, or from which that structure could
have evolved? Or, was this a mechanism to release heat, either by sweating or
some other way? Is this really old news, or has enough study been done on the
few skin fossils previous to this find to make any such assumption? DOH!,
STUPID ASSUMPTION AGAIN!)

Going to LR to buy a new T-Bird LX today, God I love being in debt! Not!
Doesn't sound much like a dig vehicle does it?  Oh well, it'll get us to
South Dakota, and back, and I'm unsure our 88 Dodge Colt Premier would.

That's all folks.

"All we have to do is keep on talking."  Steven Hawking--Pink Floyd 1994

Roger A. Stephenson  lightwaves@aol.com