Fwd: Re: Theropod traps

Neil wrote:
I love this idea.  Has anyone attempted to sex the bones of
carnivores in a mass kill?  If it is a family group, some
carnivores tend to have large female:male ratios.  Males are also
frequently solitary and the females group together.

Neil

One of the examples in question was the coelophysis quarry at Ghost
Ranch, NM.  Here a very large number or specimens of coelophysis are
found in both articulated and disarticulated states.  Individuals of
all ages and sizes are represented.  There does seem to be some
dimorphism exhibited by the adults - usually thought to be related to
sex.  There is a more robust version and a gracile version of the same
species of coelophysis. I don't know of any study to compare the ratio
of robust to gracile forms - perhaps because much of the material that
was original quarried has not been fully prepared as yet.  It is spread
out all over the country in huge blocks, being worked on by several
different institutions.  So we don't know if coelos lived in harems or
some other form of group.  The Ghost Ranch mass death site has not been
adequetly explained as far as I am aware.  An excellent reference book
is Colberts Dinosaurs of Ghost Ranch.
         Hope this helped
            Virginia Tidwell