Re: fruit versus leaves

>From: Stephen Okay <sokay@buccaneer.com>
 >
 > > PS Have you ever noticed that in books plant eating dinos eat leaves and
 > > none
 > > are mentioned eating fruit???
 > This also supposes some sort of pollenization scheme which requires bees
 > and/or other insects to carry out a large portion of the pollenization.

Actully, there is no necessary connection between propagule form and
mode of pollenation.  Fruits are adaptations to animal distribution
of the *seeds*.

 > ...:How long have we had fruit trees?

This depends on what you mean by "fruit".  There are reasons to believe
that some bennettites and some cycads had edible seed-bearing parts.
Also, even today some conifers and relatives have "fruits" (check
out yews and podocarps). So, there have probably been "fruits" of
a sort since at least the mid Triassic (before dinosaurs), if not
since the Permian or even earlier.

Now, to get to the original question, there are differences in
the teeth of fruit and leaf eaters.  Also, fuit eaters are almost
always rather smaller than leaf eaters.  This has to do with energy
budget issues.

Thus, it is fairly clear that sauropods and ornithopods were leaf
eaters.  Some of the smaller prosauropods *may* have had a mixed
leaf and fruit diet. Hypsilophodonts and heterodontosaurids were
probably fruit or fruit&leaf eaters.  Some of the smaller theropods
were probably fruit eaters as well.

The peace of God be with you.